Business License


All businesses located in or doing business within the City of Imperial must obtain a business license. A separate license is required for each branch or location and for each separate type of business at the same location. Click on the image to the left for a copy of the business license application.

Contact the Business License Office at (760)355-1064 to discuss the details of your particular business operation. Inquire about the Certificate of Use and Occupancy permit, city zoning requirements for your type of business and its planned location before signing a lease. Keep in mind that you must also comply with all City, County and State regulations for zoning, building, health and safety.

All sections of the business license application form must be filled out completely. Please be as specific as possible when filling out the business description. The names and home addresses of the owners and/or principal officers of the business must be listed. The application must be signed and all information should be clear and legible. If your business is a corporation, please include proof that the person signing the document is authorized to sign application forms.
The business license fee must be paid at the same time the application is submitted.

Home-based businesses are allowed under certain circumstances. Section 24.11.200 of the Zoning Ordinance list all conditions that must be met in order to conduct a business in a residence. A business license is required for all home-based businesses. Please contact the Community Development Department at (760)355-1152 for more information.
Every business conducted from a residence must have both a city business license and home occupation permit. The home occupation permit must be approved by the Community Development Department.

If you plan to install a new sign, or make changes to existing sign, please contact the Community Development Department prior to doing so. All signs, whether it is illuminated or temporary, are regulated by the City of Imperial Zoning Ordinance and require a sign permit.