Public Services

The Public Services Department is responsible for the maintenance of public streets, water and wastewater (sewer) mains, parks, and public facilities. During emergencies, the Department responds by providing traffic safety barricades and other warnings during flooding or other unusual conditions.

Afterhours call-outs

Call dispatch at 760-355-1158 (non emergency) to report malfunctioning traffic signals, street flooding, sewer back-ups or spills, or other matters that can not wait until normal business hours. See phone numbers at right for calls during business hours.


Flooding Conditions


Sand bags can be picked during major storm events from the Fire Department located at 2514 La Brucherie Road, Imperial, CA 92251 or by calling (760)355-1158.




 Engineering Standards and Specifications

Engineering Specs

The Engineering Division provides standards and specifications for various infrastructure requirements such as storm drains, pipe crossings, etc. Click here for additional information.


811 gif.




Sewer Backups & Overflows

The City of Imperial only maintains the sewer mains. The service lateral to the main the property owner's responsibility (per Chapter 18-10 of the Imperial Municipal Code and Ordinance No. 462).



To report a street light problem, call (760)355-1152 or email with the pole number, address, and description of problem.










The City of Imperial receives Colorado River water diverted at Imperial Dam and transported to the Imperial Valley through the All-American Canal. The Imperial Irrigation District’s Dahlia Canal and Newside Canal deliver the raw water from the All-American Canal to the City’s Water Treatment Plant which operates 24 hours a day. The City's Treatment Plant consists of a 7 million gallon per day conventional surface water treatment. The City stores 2 million gallons of treated water at the treatment plant and has two 2-million storage distribution tanks and two remote booster stations. The City has a single pressure zone water pressure leaving the treatment plant at a 70 psi.

For billing inquiries or to set up a water account, please call (760)355-4371.

For all other questions regarding the Water Treatment Plant, please call (760)355-2155.





Trash collection

Allied Waste (Republic Services) is under contract with the City of imperial to collect garbage, curbside recycling and yard waste collection.

Trash collection bins

Imperial residents are provided with three toters/containers: garbage (black), recycling (blue), and yard waste (green or brown). All three are normally picked up on Wednesday mornings. 

The black toter is for regular household trash or any items that cannot be disposed of in your recycling or green waste carts. All waste disposed of as trash should be bagged before it is placed inside the cart.
Please do not dispose of the following items in your toter(s):
  • Construction debris, dirt, etc.
  • Hazardous materials (motor oil, cleaning products, pool chemicals, car batteries, etc.)
  • Hot ashes or hot coals are not acceptable. They must be at room temperature before discarding in the cart.
  • Bulky items such as furniture, appliances, etc.


What Can I Recycle?

Everyone in Imperial is encouraged to decrease the amount of waste sent to the landfill. California state law (Assembly Bill 341)mandates recycling for all businesses that generate more than four cubic yards of solid waste per week and multifamily dwellings of five units or more. All residents are provided a blue toter for commingling of recyclable materials. The following items can be recycled and should be placed in the blue toters/containers:

Paper and Cardboard

  • white paper
  • colored paper
  • letters
  • junk mail
  • dry food boxes
  • paper bags
  • cardboard
  • newspapers and magazines
  • telephone directories

Empty Cans

  • steel
  • tin
  • aluminum


  • bottles
  • jars


  • bottles with the #1 and #2 marks
  • containers with the #1 and #2 marks


Non-Recyclable Items

All items with the #3, #4, and #5 recycle markings.
Clear plastic food tray covers
Microwaveable food trays
Paint cans
Oil cans
Auto glass
Disposable diapers
Plastic toys
Plastic buckets
Plastic bags
Rubber products
Waxed paper
Wet or soiled paper
Window glass
Pyrex glass
Light bulbs
Fluorescent light tubes
Household trash
Food waste
Yard waste

Residents who wish to limit or stop delivery of directories should visit and submit their requests as soon as possible to ensure receipt in advance of future delivery cycles.


Residential Green Waste

Green toters/containers are for all yard trimmings such as: grass, tree branches, sawdust, green plants, weeds – basically all organic material generated from your yard work.  All items must be able to fit into the cart with the lid closed. If necessary, cut up trimmings to increase the amount of yard waste that fits in the green cart. Do not place yard waste in plastic bags. Plastic bags are not compostable and they will contaminate the yard waste.


Bulk Waste

Items that are too large or too heavy to fit in the toters/containers can be picked up by Allied Waste at no charge. 

Street Sweeping Schedule